Wednesday, August 20, 2014

A Little Mid-August Update


I can't bring myself to say "late August."  We're still in mid-August, as far as I'm concerned . . . and the garden has been growing!  Some plants love this cooler summer (brassicas, greens, herbs, many flowers).  But the peppers and tomatoes have been slow to ripen   We have yet to eat a tomato out of our garden this summer.  The vines are loaded with green fruit, and my mouth waters every time I think about making the first batch of fresh salsa.


We have more calendula than ever before.  And some very beautiful carrots (thanks to the broadfork, perhaps?).  


However, we have pulled up carrots (and other root veggies) with worm damage.  Jeffrey ordered beneficial nematodes recently to see if they might help out with the roots in our fall garden.  We've never used them before, so it will be interesting to see if we notice a difference.  And do the good little bugs stick around from year to year?  I need to do a little more research.


Cosmos are taking over our pathways and have turned the garden into a bit of a jungle.


Borage is blooming in among the tomato plants (where I planted it to help keep tomato worms away).  But, alas, look what we discovered today!



He was such a gross, gnarly dude that even the chickens wouldn't eat him!


No comments:

Post a Comment