Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Lavender Love



Here we are in the last week of June.  Lavender just starting to bloom.  Strawberries ripening every day. 



 Garlic scapes ready to be picked.  Lovely sage flowering.


The garden looks good, right now, for the most part.  But the tomato, pepper, and basil plants are not happy.  I'm sure they don't like the cool weather.  But I have a feeling there is something more going on.  We've had a lot more insect damage than usual and the plants look sort of pale.  I planted marigolds around the edges this week . . . hoping to keep the bugs away; and I fed the plants with extra organic fertilizer (Dr. Earth & soybean meal).  So we'll see if this helps.  


All the greens, on the other hand, look great.  Kale, cabbages, spinach, arugula, tatsoi, celery, parsley, cilantro, brussels sprouts . . . they love this weather.

The girls have been playing and playing outside.  Picking wild strawberries, building fairy houses, gathering flowers, helping in the garden.  Oh, how we love June.


We went on a local garden tour today, and I was so taken with this ornamental hops vine!  I think I see a hops-covered playhouse in our future . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment