Sunday, April 27, 2014

Growing


We returned to the greenhouse on Friday to check on our seedling babies and plant a few more trays.  A few notes from our afternoon in the wonderful warmth . . .


I was thrilled to find fifty kale babies growing strong!


I have never grown cleome before.  Although I don't necessary love the way it looks (sort of like a flower with a bad hair day), I added it to our seed order this year for the bees.


I laughed at this evidence of little hands helping out with the seeding: a mini forest of baby chamomile plants!


And for my record keeping, this is what we planted on Friday, April 25:

50 Basil blocks ( 20 Genovese; 20 Sweet; 10 Lime)
20 Tomato blocks (5 Sungold Cherry; 5 Amish Paste; 5 Weinsnicht's Ukrainian; 5 Rose De Berne)
30 Pepper blocks (5 Sweet Pimiento; 5 Hungarian Hot Wax; 5 Hidalgo Serrano Hot; 5 Some Like it Hot; 5 Banana; 5 Jeffrey's Special Italian variety for Pickling)
30 Cabbage blocks (5 Gunma; 10 Chinese; 10 Des Vertus Savoy; 5 Golden Acre)
10 Swiss Chard blocks (for a neighbor who loves chard!)
10 Melon blocks (5 Hannah's Choice Muskmelon; 5 Diana Watermelon)
30 Craspedia globosa blocks (I fell in love with this flower after seeing it in bouquets last summer)
20 Gomphrena globosa blocks (these were in my hair, when Jeffrey and I were married . . . and around Maude's neck!)
20 Purple coneflower blocks
10 Horehound blocks (Jeffrey has plans for this herb)
20 Butterfly Weed blocks
20 Cosmos blocks
30 Zinnia blocks
50 Sunflower blocks

If I've done my math correctly, that should add up to another 350 blocks.  As you can see, I'm planning to put in a lot of flowers this year.  I am hopeful that these flowers will nourish the bees, fill our bouquets, and also line the fence row.  I have visions of creating a wildly abundant flower garden intermixed with all sorts of annuals, perennials, and herbs along the white fence in front of our house.  I fully admit that Tasha Tudor's garden is one of my inspirations.  

Tasha Tudor says, "It takes 12 years to make a garden."  We are entering year three — very grateful for and very humbled by how much we have yet to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment